Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Monarca 2011 Task 1 - 61Km

Launch-Piano Start, Divisa, Saucos, LaCasa, El Torre

vdb - task 1

What a day!  Cranking winds on launch, crappy launches, misplaced pilots, downwind landing tumbles, trips to hospital, reserve throw and tree landing. Not a good start at all.

Today the thermals were coming through launch really strong. There were a few light cycles but as soon as you took off it was chaos. Comp wings were being bent out of shape, huge surges and minimal penetration and not much gain initially.

The launch window opened at 11:40 and I got in line around 11:45 and by this time it was really long. While we were waiting in line we watched the carnage unfold. GOPR0336Not really good to watch. Jeff had managed to get to the start line  with 6 other people and got off the hill early when conditions were milder.

I got to launch when the thermal cycles were a little lighter than earlier but just off of launch gliders were being thrown around like rag dolls. I brought my wing up turned and launched. A thermal came through and plucked me up and threw me right almost into another glider taking off.Not pretty. I headed out to find some smoother air. Not to be! I also found that I had forgot to turn on my vario but I sure as heck wasn’t taking my hands off the brakes. So I headed out in front a little. The wind was gusty and strong. I was also sinking. By the time I got my vario on and turned around I was at midway between launch and the Piano LZ. GOPR0406I struggled to try and get back up but it was a case of the frog in the well – climb 200 feet sink 300 ft. I eventually had to go and land. I thought I would land in the field beside the road but it was thermic and really windy. I kept getting popped up. I got one pop that took me high enough where I thought I could make the Piano. Bad choice! As I headed out from the foot of the Penon across the road I sunk like a stone. I navigated through some trees saw a small landing area and as I came in to land I dropped about 6-8 feet onto a rock outcrop. GOPR0429I felt my back compress with the impact. Crap, surely not a broken back. I lay there and called for help on the radio. After about 5 minutes I felt a little better and I had full movement of my legs. I struggled to my feet and my back was sure sore. I radioed to let folks I was ok but needed an ambulance to get me to hospital to check out the damage. As it turned out I was very lucky. No broken bones, just muscular strain and inflammation! Phew. I will take tomorrow off flying but hope to be back in the air Wednesday.GOPR0430

Dave Wheeler didn't have much luck today either. He ended up in the Piano area too and had a downwind landing in tall grass with a roll down the hill. Coupled to that, his flight deck got snarled in the grass and disappeared! However, the good news was that some kids found it later and handed it in. Another lucky guy!

Gilead landed at Maguey on the mesa at 1:38pm but it tool retrieval over 6 hours to get to him! He had hiked for many many miles to get out and had been sending constant update messages. A long day for him.

Jeff Smith managed to fly 31K along with Frank and Mer. Preacher managed to almost complete the task flying around 52 Km.

One pilot threw his reserve over Avandro and landed in a tree but was ok.

All in all not a great start to the comp. I believe there were only 7 that got to goal today. Results are not posted yet.

Let’s hope for better weather and conditions tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Iain.... that was a tough day. So glad the back will be ok. Since its not broken... I'll have to admit you into my "broken back" club as an honorary member :)
    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete