Friday, June 26, 2009

Rat Race...yeah baby!

Well the Rat Race is almost here. Driving down early tomorrow, the 27th June, the 465 miles to Medford for registration, with the race beginnng on Sunday.

So I thought yesterday I would get my glider packaged up since I hadn't flown it since Whidbey last week and it was detached from my harness. Oh dear oh dear..what the heck happened to all my lines! It was a rat's nest in there...I could not for the life of me get all the lines untangled. I spenty a total of 2 1/2 hrs trying to unravel them and could not. They seemed locked in the middle with lines over someplace.

This of course all happened on Whideby Island where I arrived to find it very flyable indeed. As the time passed, the wind picked up and became unflyable. In the end, I packed up my wing and headed back across the ferry and got some help from Ross who seemed to have been drinking a little!. After hitting a few of his golf balls into the sound from his driveway, we started to untie the lines. Not sure if his initial attemepts of unravelling were good or bad as after a short while he admitted defeat and wanted me to untie the lines from the manions. Not for me, especially on a windy day at this house with rain approaching. So I headed home and proceeded to try and do the unravelling in my house.

I eneded up having to undo the lines on the left hand A riser 1 at a time and get them cleared. The B lines took a while but I could see the cause of the fankle. The lines from each side had managed to form a loop and then get tightly knotted around a whole bunch of others. Clearing this I managed to get the left and right side risers into two separate bunches with the left hand side all clear.Now to work on getting the right side cleared. Thanks goodness I found this out before going down to Medford! Phew!

Stay tuned for stories and photos folks.,,I am looking forward to flying and hope the weather is much netter than at WCPC but with LeAnn, Rich Hass, Arun, John Mann, Mer, Steph and Matt Cone and even Noah (now from Portland) going to be there, good times indeed methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment